The American Craftsmen Show

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Sandy Malamed Featured at the American Folk Art Museum to Celebrate its New Infinite Variety Catalog


Sandy Malamed Red and White Quilts for Infinite Variety
American Craftsmen Show artist Sandy Malamed applique quilts will be featured in the American Folk Art Museum’s store to help celebrate the release of its catalog Infinite Variety: Three Centuries of Red and White Quilts. The book offers an opulent presentation of more than 650 red and white quilts with inspiring craftsmanship and composition, a history of red and white quilts, rare perspectives on the exhibition, and a pattern index. In 2011, the American Folk Art Museum dramatically
transformed the Park Avenue Armory’s historic 55,000-square-foot Wade Thompson Drill Hall in New York City with the installation of 650 red and white American quilts, all of which were on loan from the collection of Joanna S. Rose.


American Fok Art Museum 2011 Infinite Variety Exhibition
Sandy states for this post that “it was truly an honor to be asked to create a series of red and white miniature quilts for the American Folk Art Museum. I wanted to create a collection of small quilts that are keeping within the theme of AFAM’s new book, but also reflect my narrative style of working.  The majority of the quilts in the American Folk Art Museum's unprecedented 2011 exhibition Infinite Variety: Three Centuries of Red and White Quilts   are geometric in nature and made purely of solid red and white fabric.  My work is figurative and I employ a great number of prints to create my imagery.   Distilling my creative esthetic down to two colors was a challenge.  I decided that in order for the quilts to be “honest” and true to my style I would continue to use printed fabric.  I do hope that I have achieved my objective.  These quilts measure approximately 7” x 7” and are conservation framed in white shadow-box type frame.”

The American Craftsmen Show thanks the American Folk Art Museum for information about its new book “Red & White Quilts: Infinite Variety and its 2011 exhibition red and white quilts.


No comments:

Post a Comment